Thursday, December 31, 2009

Come, Hear, & DO!

Three things stuck out to me when I read Luke today, I doubt you'll end up hearing all of them though. Have you ever paid attention to the composition, transition, or order of the stories in the gospels?

Luke 6:46-49 is the parable of the wise and foolish builders. The wise builder comes, hears Jesus' words, and puts it into practice. Great to chew on, I thought- putting enough effort into our relationship with God that we would seek him out, that we would get up and come to him, and that we would listen to him when he speaks, and not only that, but to put it into practice. What a concept! It would be nice to have an example of someone who actually did this though. Well, lookie here- right after this parable a centurion sends some Jewish elders to Jesus to ask if he would come and heal his dying servant. But he asked Jesus to come- that seems rather lazy- but we find out later that's because he did not feel worthy to go to Jesus. The centurion knows he does not deserve Jesus- wise guy- he also knows that if Jesus speaks the word his servant WILL be healed.

The centurion didn't need Jesus right by him to believe. He had heard, and what he knew he put into practice with his active faith. I only hope I can realize, like the centurion, that I do not deserve Jesus. I am so far from being worthy, yet still he bids me to seek Him. That is a call which I deeply desire to answer with everything I do and am.

Jesus says "he who has been forgiven little loves little". Maybe that's why I love so deeply - I know I have been forgiven SO much.

No comments:

Post a Comment