Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A store in my heart

The only thing I would change about my Bible would be to convert Jesus' words to neon blue, or red- anything to make them stick out. Anyhow, I was reading Luke today, I've always loved where Jesus talks (in black letters) about how each tree is known by its own fruit. It's completely just- we can't be proclaimed good simply because our parents or spouse or pet camel is- life doesn't work that way. I am known by my own fruit; sometimes I'm glad for this, other days not so much. The verse that stuck out to me today appears in the fruit section;

Luke 6:45 (NASB)
The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart.

Now for the essential version- the Amplified!
The upright (honorable, intrinsically good) man out of the good treasure [stored] in his heart produces what is upright(honorable and intrinsically good), and the evil man out of the evil storehouse brings forth that which is depraved (wicked and intrinsically evil); for out of the abundance (overflow) of the heart his mouth speaks.

Kind of unnerving to think that every word we speak is showing those who listen exactly what is in our hearts. I wonder what people would hear come out of my mouth if every word was recorded for a week, or even a day? Sunday night one of my friends said that he was intimidated by me when he first met me because I only ever talked about the Bible and writing, and he always saw me highlighting and underlining and writing stuff in my bible- so I guess I know what one person thinks. Suppose that God's word is a great thing to abound in my heart.

So just remember your words and your actions flow from what you store in your heart- store stuff you want to share with others!

1 comment: