Thursday, December 3, 2009

Give or take a little, it's better to get?


So I've been reading through the books of Acts recently, and I love it! An intriguing and engaging account of the acts of the apostles and occurrences in the early church. As I was reading today I kept my eyes open for what they actually did back then, and in the few chapters I learned a good deal; here's some of it...

Paul traveled and spoke words of encouragement to people (e.g. fellow Christians in Greece - see Acts 20)

On the first day of the week (for us that's Sunday!) they came together and "broke bread", Paul also spoke to the people (And talked till midnight. So this guy ends up falling asleep and out the third story window; obviously he dies. Paul's like "Don't be alarmed, he's alive!" They eat some more and he talks till daylight. Two key things; breaking bread and talking/preaching, with a miracle thrown in too.

Paul lived a life serving the Lord with humility and tears, through all his trials, he has not hesitated to preach anything that would be helpful.

He taught both publicly and from house to house, to Jew and Gentiles, declaring they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in Jesus our Lord. (Acts 20:20)

He testified to the gospel of God's grace

he proclaimed the WHOLE will of God.

He supplied his needs and the needs of his companions.

He found it more blessed to give than receive.

Y'know, I think that just might be something to strive for in modern Christianity, do you think so? I really like verse 35 "In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive." Jesus said it, so we know it's truth. Then again, do we live like we believe that? I don't think so, at least I don't really. Think about it - if we thought it was more blessed to give we wouldn't always interject our two cents into the conversation as a friend pours out their heart and passions, we would truly care about what people had to say when we ask "how are you doing?" instead of anxiously waiting to say how we are today, we would give others the last slice of apple pie, or the biggest one, we wouldn't be so afraid of hurting a little bit that someone else could be more comfortable. So I don't feel that we TRULY think it is more blessed to give than receive.

And Christmas- how could I forget about that? If it were more blessed to give than receive we wouldn't make mile long Christmas lists and gorge ourselves on ham and fudge- we would go out to the hurting and use what we would spend on ourselves to bring a child joy with a simple toy, or we would serve the homeless our luxurious Christmas meals, and even more we'd eat with them, and give them a listening ear, caring heart, quality time. But will anyone do that? I wish I could say "I will", but I don't think I can...

No comments:

Post a Comment