Monday, December 28, 2009

Diagnosed: a Hopeless Sinner



I'm reading through Luke, and I'd just like to say I'm happy that there's a gospel account written by him - he's so thorough. I know this is a popular and well-known saying of Jesus, but I really like it. (see Luke 5)

31Jesus answered them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. 32I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." - NIV

31And Jesus replied to them, It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick.32I have not come to arouse and invite and call the righteous, but the erring ones (those not free from sin) to repentance [to change their minds for the better and heartily to amend their ways, with abhorrence of their past sins]. -Amplified

This is so true; honestly, who goes to the doctor when they feel great? I don't think anyone does - a doctor is who you go to when you're sick, in hopes they can help you diagnose and fix whatever ails you. God isn't calling those of us (nonexistent people group by the way) who have it all together and never have anything ailing us.

God wants sinners! He's inviting the sinners, not the self righteous, to sup with him. I want to get invited, that shouldn't be a problem... Jesus is calling the ones going in the wrong direction to radically change their mindsets and fix their wayward ways. He wants to give the lost direction in life.

Diagnosis: sinner
cure: repentance and redemption

No comments:

Post a Comment