Sunday, December 27, 2009

Power from on High

I think God's showing me my future piece by piece, or step by step. I went to church today, and I just realized that(at this point in time) I do not want to preach to a traditional church of Christians. I want to speak love into the lives of the broken, and lead passionate God-seekers into a more intimate relationship with their Lord and Savior. Maybe it's silly or selfish, but I don't want to waste the time and words God has given me on the lukewarm, which is what too many churches are. If he asked me too though, I would.

Last night I started Power from on High by Charles G. Finney - it's a compilation of stuff published in a newspaper in the 1870's - awesome! That's pretty long ago, maybe that's part of the reason I love reading it; times are different, and this man was different too. I would love to be a Charles Finney, but, like Thomas Merton says; "How do you expect to arrive at the end of your own journey if you take the road to another man's city?"

Charles Finney was a tall, handsome, musically gifted leader. He was going to become a lawyer, then he was radically saved, and decided to become a preacher/missionary instead. That is so cool to me. He has been called "The Father of Modern Revivalism", he definitely brought the life of Christ to many lives.

Anyways, I just wanted to say that, his book is very good and only 79 pages if you have a chance to read it I am sure it would be influential.

No comments:

Post a Comment