Wednesday, December 23, 2009

His Cherub

I have a couple pictures I'd love to add onto this blog... but for some reason, well... it's just not working. My apologies.
I started reading Ezekiel today (his name means God strengthens). It all starts off with a vision, the word of the Lord coming, and the hand of the Lord being upon Ezekiel. The tremendous vision has four living creatures in it, later known as cherubim. I've heard the term before, but what are cherubim?
The Old Testament study lexicon on studylight.org defines a cherub as follows;

1. an angelic being
1. as guardians of Eden
2. as flanking God's throne
3. as an image form hovering over the Ark of the Covenant
4. as the chariot of Jehovah (fig.)

Cherubim are always linked with the glory of God; for example, the ark of the covenant had two cherubim atop it. The glory of God came to rest on the throne created by the cherubim's outstretched wings. (See Exodus 25:18-22; 37:7-9; Numbers 7:89; Hebrews 9:5)

Verse 12 of Ezekiel one says "Wherever the Spirit would go, they would go". I want to e like that, to be one so close to God that I become a representative of His glory and holiness and purity and perfection and splendor and majesty.

Ezekiel 1:20 says "Wherever the spirit was about to go, they would go in that direction. And the wheels rose close beside them; for the spirit of the living beings was in the wheels." The wheels are the will of God; where He wanted to go. Their very spirit was in the wheels. Their essence was fulfilling the will of God- how wonderful!

"and there was a radiance around Him. As the appearance of the rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the appearance of the surrounding radiance. Such was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. And when I saw it, I fell on my face and heard a voice speaking."Son of man stand up on your feet and I will speak to you."

I can't even imagine the privilege of the cherubim as they carried the throne of the Lord. So great in glory was God on His throne that Ezekiel fell face down. Even in my desire to be a bearer of God's glory like the cherubim I remember what was written in 1 Peter 1:12 about how even angels long to look into the mystery of our redemption in Christ. I thank God for this enormous privilege He has given me through his extraordinary sacrifice. I know am given something greater than the cherubim - I am one for whom Christ shed his cleansing blood.

And for that I am grateful beyond words.

No comments:

Post a Comment