Monday, December 21, 2009

Desire so enticing

I'm nearing the end of Mark, and this passage gets me every time. I mean here is Jesus is the garden, hours from his betrayal, with 3 of his closest disciples, his friends. He is in terrible agony, and those who say they love him can't even keep their eyes open to pray as well. Here's the passage;

Mark 14
Could you not keep watch for one hour? 38 Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak. Once more he went away and prayed the same thing (Abba, Father, everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will but what you will). When he came back he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. They did not know what to say to him.

Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation- this is how we avoid temptation (in addition to resisting and fleeing it). The amplified says, "Keep awake and watch and pray [constantly], that you may not enter into temptation". We can't fall asleep spiritually in a world that exhales temptation. We have to allow God to keep our spiritual eyes open, prayer is a way to do this. We usually don't fall asleep when someone is speaking to us- if we are constantly communing with God, spiritual sleep is out of the question.

The spirit is willing but the body is weak. Once when I was trying to fast sugary foods so I wrote that on my hand. And it's true- so terribly true- my spirit wanted to be devoted to God, to have no temptations which draw it away, but my body wanted ice cream so badly!

Jesus prayed "not what I will but what you will". Even though he wanted God to choose a different way, to give him a less bitter cup to drink, he still wanted God's will more. I also must learn to say to God, who can do anything, "Not my own will but yours come as a reality in my life".

This stuck out to me because I want to know the validity of Jesus' words. I have learned that though the spirit is willing the body is weak. But I need to learn to stay away from temptation by watching and praying. In times of prayer and fasting I want to learn to devote myself more fully to God, starting now and continuing forever. I want to learn how to ask for God's will even if my own is so enticing.

No comments:

Post a Comment