Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A heart to respond to His touch

I'll be honest here- I was thinking that Ezekiel would probably be hard to get through. That shows my ignorance - I had no idea it would be SO exciting, so mind-opening. Here is a semi-popular passage which stuck out to me, now read it in the amplified version!

Ezekiel 11 (AMP)
18And when they return to the land of Israel, they shall take away from it all traces of its detestable things and all its abominations (sex, impurities and heathen religious practices).

19And I will give them one heart [a new heart] and I will put a new spirit within them; and I will take the stony [unnaturally hardened] heart out of their flesh, and will give them a heart of flesh [sensitive and responsive to the touch of their God],

20That they may walk in My statutes and keep My ordinances, and do them. And they shall be My people, and I will be their God.

The Israelites have all these idols, God is saying that, when he brings them back home, they will get ride of all the heathen influences they succumbed to and put before Him for so long. He will give them a new heart and spirit- the one which has been hardened by idol worship and violence and worshiping other gods (see Ezek. 8) will be gone! The heart He will give will be sensitive to the Lord again. When he touches their hearts they can feel it again. He isn't doing this for no reason; He is giving them a heart that is responsive to Him so that they will walk in His way. That they will follow His laws and be careful to keep them.

Following God- what a wonderful outcome brought about by the eradication of idols and the gift of a new heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment