Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Shepherd King

I was reading through Song of Solomon... wow... it is so intense. Talk about love - not just between Solomon and his beloved, but also between Christ, the shepherd king and us, his beloved. How wonderful is this love. Surely it is deeper than I could ever hope to fathom. Obviously we can all get what Solomon meant when he said this or that to his lover (at least in most cases), but how does that apply to Christ and his bride the church?

1:3 Like an apple tree among the trees of the forest is my lover among the young men. I delight to sit in his shade, and his fruit is sweet to my taste. He has taken me to the banquet hall, and his banner over me is love.

A banner? All that pops into most people minds are those banner-like advertisements - so why a banner? Searching the web I found a few things, here's one, from (http://www.allaboutprayer.org/gods-banner.htm) talking about God and banners;

"I erect this permanent, immovable banner over you, over your life, proclaiming My love for you. While it is immovable, anchored in the blood of My Son, it responds with a fluid movement to the Wind of the Spirit sent to blow across your heart and life."

His banner over me is love. He is not ashamed of loving us, though we are sinners, though we fall a million times every day, though we are so far below Him, he still loves us. Our bridegroom delights in us. What a crazy thought- that the God of all delights in something so small as me... The fact remains that he loves us, and that love is enough to cover all that would harm us, enough to identify us as His when other lovers try to come and steal us away.

Did you know that in ancient Jewish tradition they recommended this book not be read until age 30 or older? Song of Solomon does seem just plain romantic at times, but God does want to ravish our heart...
9 you have stolen my heart, my sister, my bride, you have stolen my heart with one glance of your eyes. Your lips drop sweetness as the honeycomb, my bride.
16 Let my lover come into his garden and taste it's choice fruits

Let's give him the best of ourselves back, let's cultivate a beautiful garden for Christ to spend time in with us. May our lips be sweet as honey, endeared by Christ's love in us.

1 comment:

  1. As far as ancient Jewish wedding customs go, I found an interesting chart on that...
    http://ldolphin.org/risk/table.html

    ReplyDelete