Friday, December 25, 2009

More than a Scapegoat for Sin



I just started reading Luke yesterday, and what a terrific book to begin during the season of celebration for our Savior's birth. We all pretty much know the Christmas story, but something stuck out to me this year. As the angel of the Lord appeared to the shepherds he said;

"I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord."

A Savior has been born who is Christ the Lord. Hmmm... Savior and Lord - sound familiar? I'm pretty sure most sinner's prayers have us confessing Jesus as Savior and Lord. Why then is it we so often ditch the Lord term in favor of the Savior title? Yes, we need someone to save us from our sins, ourselves. But that's not all He is- He's so much more than just a babe born in a manger, than a carpenter's son, or a man nailed to the cross. As Peter says, he is "the Christ/Messiah, the son of the living God". The Christ means the Messiah, or anointed one. A Messiah is a King anointed by God's direction, with His approval. God ordained him to be the King, or Lord, of our lives as well. God doesn't just want his son to be a scapegoat for sin, he wants him to be the very ruler of our lives.

Some days I have to ask myself if I am only relying on Christ as my Savior, or if I am following him and surrendering myself to His divinely appointed and anointed Lordship. What about you?

2 comments: