Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Lamenting & Love

I once was asked what my favorite book of the Bible was, I replied Lamentations was. They asked me when I was fifteen years old. Recently I was thinking, with all of the 4 more years of knowledge I have acquired, how weird of a book that was to choose. C'mon, Lamentations, really? It's 5 chapters of Jeremiah lamenting about the destruction of Jerusalem and expressing sorrow. There is also hope in it though. And, though sorrowful, the pain is expressed so eloquently; I see why it was my favorite book. So many things popped out to me upon reading it - I'll share a couple only.

Bitterly she weeps at night, tears are upon her cheeks. Among all her lovers there is none to comfort her. All her friends have betrayed her; they have become her enemies.
~Lamentations 1:2
Jeremiah also talks about how if a man divorced his wife and she married another, he would not take her back. He then says "But you have prostituted yourself with many lovers,so why are you trying to come back to me?” (Jer. 3:1)

God lets us leave Him for other, lesser, lovers. It breaks His heart, into a million shards, which become knives stabbing his broken heart, paining Him further. But he lets us do it. He want us to freely choose to love Him, or it means nothing. When we do choose to prostitute ourselves to other lovers, to idols, idols of money, relationships, time, work, anything; why should he let us come back? We just might find ourselves like Jerusalem - bitterly weeping at night, tears streaming down our cheeks. And what if, among all of the friends we have, jobs we work, things we do, places we spend our time, things we can buy - what if none of them can comfort us? All we pour our life into can betray us if we are not pouring ourselves into the right thing. If we love God (love also=obedience) He will not make Himself our enemy. He is near to those who seek Him. So why do we pour so much time into lovers who fail us when we need someone most? I see myself doing this - I spend a lot of time and energy on some friends. There are times when I would go to another "lover" before reading God's love letter to me, or listening to the words He wants to speak to His beloved. No matter how exquisite and eloquently a man can speak to me I will never let him become another lover, he will not take the place of my first Lover. God will have all of me, I pray he keeps me near. I also pray that you will seek your comfort in Him.

I was going to share more, but I'll just end with Lamentations 3:22-26, it speaks for itself...

Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed,for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him."
The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him;it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.

His Love never fails, it stays the same through the ages! Thank God ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment