Friday, January 1, 2010

Beloved Bride or Prostitute?

So I'm used to reading a parable/ allegory or two in the gospels. But I just read, possibly, one of the best allegories ever and it is in Ezekiel. Chapter 16 to be precise, everything before it was engaging too, but I feel like this chapter is written to our nation, to how we live today...

6-7And when I passed by you and saw you wallowing in your blood, I said to you in your blood, 'Live!' I said to you in your blood, 'Live!' I made you flourish like a plant of the field. And you grew up and became tall and arrived at full adornment. Your breasts were formed, and your hair had grown; yet you were naked and bare.

God saw Jerusalem birthed and thrown out into a field because she was despised. He saw his beloved helplessly kicking about in her own blood, so he saved her. God breathed his life into her and she blossomed,yet somehow, she was naked still.

8And when I passed by again, I saw that you were old enough for love. So I wrapped my cloak around you to cover your nakedness and declared my marriage vows. I made a covenant with you, says the Sovereign Lord, and you became mine.

God's beloved Jerusalem needed more than just rescuing from her imminent death- she needed love. So God came, proclaiming His love and desire for her to become His. In the next verses we read about how greatly he lavishes his love on her- He bathes her and outs ointments on her and clothes her (fine and costly clothes) and adorns her (fancy jewelry) and crowns her, he feeds her well. And with this treatment what bride wouldn't become even more beautiful? Jerusalem was no exception - she became very beautiful and rose to be a queen, her fame soon spread throughout the world because of her beauty. The Lord "dressed you in my splendor and perfected your beauty," He delights in her. But read the very next verse;

"But you trusted in and relied on your own beauty and were unfaithful to God and played the harlot [in idolatry] because of your renown, and you poured out your fornications upon anyone who passed by [as you worshiped the idols of every nation which prevailed over you] and your beauty was his."

What an awful bride. If you're a guy I hope you never ever marry anyone who would be that cruel and awful and spiteful and... wait a minute... that bride is US... God is the one who gives us every good and perfect gift, yet we take them and learn to trust in the gift while forgetting the giver. We rely on what God gives us so much more readily than we actually rely on Him. Her fame tempted her, the power was corrupting, and she caved in- becoming a prostitute who would lavish her favors on any who passed by. In her thirst for power she compromised her first love and was lead away into worshiping idols. She took the gift of beauty God gave her and gave it away.

as if she owned it...

2 comments:

  1. to me the most- Ezekiel 16 is the most influential thing I've read this year... It makes me wonder how/if I doing the same thing.

    ReplyDelete