Wednesday, January 13, 2010

On Hands and Knees

Okay, I know it's the New Year, everyone probably wants to read through their Bibles in a year. I've been wondering though, is that the smartest way to approach it? Seems like turning Bible-reading into a quantity over quality thing. I'd ask, which is better; reading through the Bible in "as little as 15 minutes a day", and getting through it all in a year, or investing time and digging deeply into the crazy ideas that are presented? For example, today's through the bible in a year reading would be; Genesis 28:1-29:35, Matthew 9:18-38, Psalm 11:1-7, and Proverbs 3:11-12 ... is it better to read that than two of Jesus parables, and to really think about how they call us to radically alter our lifestyle? I know this is a long prelude, but I couldn't help but think of it as I read in Luke today- the content is intense, I could read over it quickly and read more- but would I really be reading God's word to its' fullest then? I feel like I wouldn't be.

Two things stuck out today - the parable of the persistent widow and the parable of the pharisee's prayer.

Luke 18:7-8
"And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?"

Here we have a rhetorical question which turns out to show us one of God's promises: God will see that his chosen ones (His elect), the ones who cry out to him day and night, will get justice quickly. But what an odd question to end with...
God is saying that if his chosen ones are crying out to him persistently (you need faith to ask a God you can't see to meet your needs, and to keep trusting Him, to offer up that need to Him so much takes faith that He won't let you down.) they will get justice... BUT He then asks if this will be what He sees when He comes to earth. How many people will Jesus find on their hands and knees crying out with their entire beings day and night to the Only one who can hear them? I wonder...

I may write about the Pharisee's prayer later, notice that it comes right after this parable.

2 comments:

  1. Hey!! I'm finally getting around to reading them, (I'm at school...) and I agree about the fact that it is better to read it on your own time, and not rush it! :) Keep on writing!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Val-Val! lol, way to spend school-time, lol :) I know... there are so many things to life that need a balance...

    ReplyDelete