Saturday, January 16, 2010

Denying Demanding Distractions



In my reading today it seemed like I'd read it all so many times. And, with there being 3 gospels that say pretty much the same thing, I had read much of this before. That shouldn't just turn off my brain though - it should make me look even deeper to find fresh meaning. I can see I'll have to be careful to not fall into that rut... Anyhow Luke 21:34 is the verse that I found pertinent today.

"Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with dissipation, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you unexpectedly like a trap."

And, for the wonderful Amplified translation:

"But take heed to yourselves and be on your guard, lest your hearts be overburdened and depressed (weighed down) with the giddiness and headache and nausea of self-indulgence, drunkenness, and worldly worries and cares pertaining to [the business of] this life, and [lest] that day come upon you suddenly like a trap or a noose"

We have to constantly and consistently be keeping our eyes wide open, guarding against the attack of burdens and depression which come from the temporary happiness, following headache and nausea, of our self-indulgent ways. Worldly worries and the cares of this life also can sneak up, jump on our shoulders and start weighing us down to the ground if we don't constantly move towards Christ. We can't stand still in this life and wait for the extra burdens to pile up, making it even harder to choose Christ, we must keep chasing Him, and choose to deny distractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment