Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Do you want 1/2 of Me?

I've been attempting to memorize James lately, and I was just reading it today, a few of the recent verses jumped off the page. James 1:22;25;26 - I'm memorizing in the NIV but I just looked at the verses in the Amplified version. Wow, you have to read it!

22But be doers of the Word [obey the message], and not merely listeners to it, betraying yourselves [into deception by reasoning contrary to the Truth].

Everyone rationalizes something wrong at one time or another in their life. I feel like I do it more than most- maybe it's because I'm overly logical- honestly, I think I just think too much! But this verse makes it clear that we will be betraying, or tricking ourselves if we only listen to the Word. Most of the people I know go to church every Sunday, and at my college we have chapel twice a week- so we are hearing the Word- but are we obeying the messages we hear? A lot of times I'd have to reply that I don't think so. Christ's message said to love others as ourselves, and most people I knew love themselves waaaay more than they love starving children, or the homeless in Jackson, or the persecuted Christians in North Korea. Apparently selfless love is hard to live.

25But he who looks carefully into the faultless law, the [law] of liberty, and is faithful to it and perseveres in looking into it, being not a heedless listener who forgets but an active doer [who obeys], he shall be blessed in his doing (his life of obedience).

When we obey we will be blessed. Not because we are following some silly set of rules, but because love is obedience. We do NOT love God if we don't do what He asks; there is no doubt in this, if we love Him we will obey his commands: the utmost of which is love.

26If anyone thinks himself to be religious (piously observant of the external duties of his faith) and does not bridle his tongue but deludes his own heart, this person's religious service is worthless (futile, barren).

Our lives are not going to bear any fruit if we are just observing some pious duties. Love is more than external, it permeates our entire being and saturates us with selflessness. Do you want half of me? We cannot "half" love someone- if we only love them externally (you know the type; "oh, Jodi, I looove her", when inside there is definite jealousy and selfishness) that is not love, no, not at all. Love is first internal, and it manifests externally.

No comments:

Post a Comment