Monday, January 11, 2010

Chicks and Quick Hugs

I love Luke, I really do, or rather all the information about Jesus this gospel has.
Jesus says this, in Luke 13:34;

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!"

What a proclamation of unfailing love. God sent prophets to speak truth into the lives of his children, but, rather than listening, they killed those meant to show them the way to Life. Even through this Jesus deeply desires to draw his beloved close to him; that is love. Even in the face of Jerusalem rejecting those God sent He still loved them, and then, He himself reaches out to draw them in. But they reject his loving arms, they would not have anything to do with being gathered to God like chicks to a hen.

I'm sure I reject Christ's attempts to draw me into his arms. I wish I wouldn't, I'm not even quite sure how I do. Maybe I'm rejecting His embrace when I won't leave the arms of my lesser lovers long enough to give Him more than a quick hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment