Friday, January 15, 2010

Tree Climbing!

Today I am left with a burning question... Luke 19:10 says that;

"The Son of Man came to seek and save what was lost."

I'm a Christian, which means I should want to be as much like Christ as I possibly can, so how can I seek those who are lost, and show them the hope of salvation I've found.

Where are the lost? I feel like there aren't very many where I am. At least none who think they're lost, so I can't very well help those who don't think they need help.


This life goal of Jesus finishes up the story of Zacchaeus the tax collector (random fact: his name means pure). Zacchaeus was a rich, short guy who wanted to see Jesus so bad he climbed a tree. I kinda wonder if it was as undignified back then as it would be now- honestly, Zacchaeus was a chief tax collector - in other words the type of guy who would definitely wear a suit and tie to work nowadays. I can't imagine some IRS tax collector climbing a tree to hear a religious revolutionary... Zacchaeus must have REALLY desired to see Jesus to go through all that effort. Would I climb a tree just to see Jesus pass by? Would I do something potentially awkward and socially iffy just to get a better glimpse of God? Jesus ends up seeing him in the tree and telling him to come down, for he must stay at his house. I don't know all the cultural traditions, but I feel like this was probably an honor, thus the irritation of the others, muttering "he has gone to be the guest of a 'sinner'." Indeed, he has, and good thing, because I am a sinner and I would very nuch like Jesus to have residency within the temple of my heart... Zacchaeus IMMEDIATELY responded to Jesus' call. He wasn't like, I need to go back to work right now - "time is money", he didn't get embarrassed from being called out by Jesus (and while in a tree nonetheless), he didn't try and put off Jesus' call - he responded immediately. I feel like a lot of people don't immediately respond to Jesus' call, and not just his call to salvation; there is a call on my life that I am not responding to immediately (sure, I don't know if I am supposed to right now) but Zacchaeus went ahead and gave half of all he had to the poor and declared that he would pay back those he cheated 400%. For this- for his intense desire, immediate response to Jesus call, and the way he responded (by doing something that proved his supposed "change of heart") Jesus said that salvation had "come to this house". Because of this he was a son of Abraham, i.e. a part of God's very own family!

I was only going to write what was above the line, but, once again, I am carried away.

No comments:

Post a Comment