Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lent is upon me!



A few months ago I was excited at the thought of Lent. And then I forgot about it. Until this week... Last year I deleted my facebook, stopped initiating things with guys, and spent 40 minutes a day in the Word. This year I think that prayer definitely needs to be a focus - prayer is so powerful and I'm not taking advantage of that. That means at least 5-10 minute minimum in prayer a day. I know that sounds measly - but I'd rather have a "measly" commitment than none at all, or one I can't keep. I really grew from the 40 minutes of scripture a day, but I think I will commit to reading the Bible daily and journaling/writing about a verse or two that stuck out to me. And memorizing - that's important, so I'm going to memorize Romans 8 - it has 38 verses. A verse a day keeps the devil at bay? I don't know about that but it certainly slows my sinful thoughts in their tracks!

I feel like I should give something up, since that is the traditional Lenten thing. So, I will give up 1 meal a week, and pray or serve during that time.

1.) 5-10 minutes of prayer
2.) Daily Bible reading + journal entry
3.) Memorize Romans 8
4.) Fast one meal a week and devote the time to God

Hold me accountable - ask me my verse for the day if you see me, or what God's been teaching me in His Word.

What are others giving up or adding for Lent?

1 comment:

  1. :) Our church is starting a series on prayer. One of the key verses is Colossians 4:2, "Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful." The 3 key points were, when we pray the way Jesus taught: we know we have a Father who fulfills our needs,(Psalm 68); we know we have a Family where we experience forgiveness and love; and we know we have a Future which we enter by following Jesus. Our pastor also quoted a prayer by Sir Francis Drake. I will put it in a blog, since it is pretty long. I hope that you grow even closer to God, and He reveals new things to you!

    ReplyDelete