Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Harrowing Spring Break Adventures in Pittsburgh


That's a collage of some happenings in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - the take-off and landing spot of our road-trip. Amanda, our CouchSurfing host was unique; she wrote a song in French with accordion and guitar parts, so I helped her out by (trying) to play the guitar part as she chummed along on the accordion and sang. It's fun to play with an accordionist - do it if you ever get the chance!

Pittsburgh is also where we were drawn into an Indian art gallery for a "Landmark reform" which is an extension of the Hare Krishna religious movement (Americanized that would be the Krishna Consciousness movement. I believe the workshop leader, David, thought we were going to stay. They told us about all the lives this "higher consciousness" has changed. There came a point for me to choose to proclaim Christ or to remain silent. Not of my own bravery I spoke up; "When you speak of harboring forgiveness and how this workshop would help, we - or at least I - already forgive, because we serve someone who asks us to forgive." ...6 hours later... "Hi ladies, how was your day?" It was David, in his vehicle, driving by just as we were worn out as could be. He gave us a ride home (how many Christians would stop to inquire about the days of someone they had just met, someone who had turned down their evangelistic attempts, and take them to a home out of their way, at their own expense????) and showed us Pittsburgh from the side of a mountain - stunning.

Amongst other things, the car ride brought up conversation of how David's wife of 22 years was a product of an arranged marriage. I confessed that I had told my grandparents, when I was 14, that I wanted them to arrange a marriage for me. What kind of a kid thinks like that? Perhaps my own folly is clear to me at times. He was taken aback when the others voiced some similar opinions. I wonder how most American young adults feel about arranged marriage...?

Well, I'll write about our Spring Break trip in chunks of the cities. Next up: New York City.

1 comment:

  1. Not only was David going out of his way, his wife was totally irritated with him. When he told her his plan to drive us home, I heard the voice on the phone say, "Are you serious?" followed shortly by a click. And David wanted to hear about our beliefs! He was interested in what we had to say! Sometimes, non-Christians do teach us how to be more Christ-like. I guess that would be a shock to a few out there.

    ReplyDelete