Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sleepless Nights and Gorgeous Sights

Last night I went ice-skating around midnight, it was such a great time with God, and so serene. I told him I would read his word when I got back to the room; I get back, my roomie's in bed, the lights are out. So I read it for a little bit and work on my memory verse with a little booklight I have. I close it, the room is dark, it is almost two: I want to go to bed. I can't. Ended up grabbing my bible, pillow, and a sleeping bag and just went out into the hallway and slept. There was something so comforting about it. I know people probably think I'm weird for liking to sleep on the floor more than on beds- but I've always liked sleeping bags more. Anyways, I got some more Bible reading in out there and ran into some great things!

A story I really like from Acts is the one where a Jewish high priest is trying to go around casting out demons "In the name of Jesus, whom Paul preaches, I command you to come out". So this day the evil spirit answers and says; "Jesus I know, and I know about Paul, but who are you? The possessed man beats them up and they run out naked and bleeding. Now, what I've found is that stuff like that doesn't just happen for no reason at all- there's always a lesson behind it. The consequence? Everyone was seized with fear and the name of the Lord Jesus was held in high honor. Many who believed now came and openly confessed their evil deeds, then publicly burned their scrolls Acts 19:20 says, "In this way the word of the Lord spread widely and grew in power".

Wow! The fear of God (forgotten a lot nowadays)and holding Jesus' name in high honor can cause people to confess their evil deeds (in public nonetheless!)and lead to an actual change of action. Yup- that all happened, and spread the word of the Lord even further, and it grew even more in power. Incredible!

2 comments:

  1. It's funny because I was gonna put my sleeping bag on my bed as cushion haha.

    Good stuff. One of my fav. sections of the bible

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you know you're not supposed to go ice-skating at midnight, you crazy girl!!! Bet it was sort of cool though... :)
    I liked this part, I never heard of that story!!! :) ↓
    "In the name of Jesus, whom Paul preaches, I command you to come out". So this day the evil spirit answers and says; "Jesus I know, and I know about Paul, but who are you? The possessed man beats them up and they run out naked and bleeding."

    ReplyDelete