Monday, November 30, 2009

Sidetracked with Sackcloth


(picture courtesy of www.keyway.ca/htm2002/20020421.htm -a very interesting bible study site)
I've been reading through one of my favorite books (Isaiah) lately, and there are three years devoted to Hezekiah. Hezekiah... that name has a ring to it, in fact I like it a lot - I wonder what it means: "Yahweh strengthens". How fitting. Anyways, one thing that stuck out to me about Hezekiah trusted God, his whole confidence was based on God, the King of Assyria ridiculed him- but guess who woke up with 185,000 dead bodies? Hint: it wasn't Hezekiah. God defended and saved their city for His own sake and for the sake of his servant - I'm so glad I serve Him! No nation had ever had a god that delivered them from the hands of the King of Assyria (Isaiah 36:18), and he was very vociferous about that fact. When Hezekiah was told what had been said he tore his clothes and put on sackcloth and then went into the temple of the Lord, he then reached out (to Isaiah) and pleaded for prayer. A couple things; sackcloth is a garment of coarse cloth or animal hair (think of wearing burlap-sack underwear for a modern parallel). Obviously this could bring on some discomfort, even pain, to the wearers - they did this as a sign of repentance, or to show grief. I haven't seen too many people wearing sackcloth lately- but would anyone wear something uncomfortable to be constantly reminded of the need for repentance, or to share in the grief God has when he looks down at his lost and broken creation? Maybe I should try it someday, only I'm not sure what I have that could substitute sackcloth- if you have and sackcloth you wouldn't mind letting me borrow let me know. There are other things I want to say, but I got sidetracked with sackcloth and that's where this blog will rest. Sweet dreams all...

No comments:

Post a Comment